Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

Apologies (to both of my readers) for the lag between entries.  The last couple of weeks of the CELTA were pretty busy, and the day after I finished, I moved to an apartment where I cannot make the internet work.  It’s really lovely, though.  Dorota and her husband have gone on vacation, so Ayisha and I are dog-sitting two of the best-behaved, loveliest dogs I’ve ever met, Waru and Hades.  I’ll be doing that for two weeks, while I send my CV out to language schools all over Poland.  Hopefully by the time I have to leave Dorota’s house, I’ll have some idea where I might be going.  I have friends in Kraków, Gdańsk, Poznań, and Wrocław, though, so wherever I end up, it’s possible I’ll know at least one person living within a reasonable distance.  I am a little concerned about getting a job, because I’ve heard it can be tough for Americans, but I’m persistent and convincing, and I really love teaching, so I’ll find a way.
Now that I’m done with the CELTA, I was hoping to spend a bit more time learning Polish.  And I have been, kind of…but I’ve been focusing a lot on the job search.  Of course, I occasionally have to step out to see friends off before they leave town, and that’s when I try to get as much practice in as possible.  I’m pretty good at ordering all kinds of beverages.  It does make me feel a bit like one of those dumb Americans who can’t be bothered, though.  I’m really trying, I promise, Poland.  Actually, at the celebration for the end of the CELTA and DELTA (those poor saps were at it for 8 weeks), I did get a chance to practice my French with one of the DELTA guys.  It was really fun, and it made me feel a little bit less stupid about my Polish not coming along as quickly as I’d hoped.  It reminded me I’m not hopeless at this, it just takes time.  And my receptive skills are getting much better.  I understand a lot more than I can say.
Anyway, I’ve gotta go for now, or I’ll miss the next express bus and I’ll either have to wait 40 minutes for the next one, or spend 40 minutes on the tram.  Neither sounds like a really wonderful way to spend my evening.
Love from Poland.

No comments:

Post a Comment