Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Breathe, Eat (kind of), Lesson Plan, Teach, Sleep (kind of), Repeat.

I've only really got time for a quick one today.  This month is going to be a little bit ridiculous.  I'm really enjoying myself, but this class is really going to be very difficult and time-consuming.  I even feel a bit guilty that I'm writing this now, when I've got a lesson plan to finish before tomorrow at noon or so.  I "taught" a section yesterday, but it only involved playing a funny game.  Tomorrow I teach my first real lesson.  It will be observed by other CELTA students as well as one of our instructors.  That is not to mention the 12 eager Polish students who want to learn from a native speaker of English.  They're very nice (as all Poles seem to be) and very clever.  But it's intimidating all the same.

While teaching my lesson, I'm supposed to be thinking constantly about making sure my instructions are understood, getting a particular concept across, keeping the students engaged, filling the time allotted to me for teaching, being approachable and creating a good classroom rapport, etc. I will never underestimate a good teacher again.  It takes a lot of hard work, not to mention natural talent.  And while everyone else is merely worried about passing, I've got to worry about doing well enough to get very good recommendations, or a high grade (better yet, both!), so that I can convince a good school that it would be worthwhile for them to take the trouble of helping with the complicated work permit process so that I can stay.  I guess the only way to do it is to focus on the students though, isn't it?  If I think too much about the other stuff, I will certainly not be able to keep all of those balls in the air, and I will flop miserably.  I guess if I do that once, I just get back up, though.  As the tattoo on my arm always says, "If he has fallen, he fights on his knees."

PS The lovely Polish ladies who are taking the CELTA course as well have really taken us native speakers under their wings.  They have kept quite busy showing us around, helping us with language questions or problems, and pointing out traditional Polish food we ought to eat.  So three cheers for them!

1 comment:

  1. Rachel,
    We both know you CAN do this. Just take it one step at a time. It sounds like the "challenge" you were looking for. You'll do fine. My favorite part of your post was the PS. It's nice to know someone is looking after you there. Love You!

    ReplyDelete