Wednesday, September 1, 2010

It’s Raining, It’s Pouring


Ale brzydka pogoda! It's been cold and rainy all week. There's a forecasted low of 48 today. It feels like late October. I don't think it's typical weather for the end of August (especially since they're talking about it on the news non-stop), but this is supposedly the hottest city in Poland, and I'm this close to buying a new coat, because the one I brought in my suitcase is just not cutting it. If I didn't possibly have to pack all my stuff up and get on a train to move again (and me with too much to carry already!), I'd have done it by now. Ayisha and I somehow got on the subject of Halloween today, and she asked me about hot apple cider (apparently, they don't have it in England). Now, all I can think of are the things I like when Autumn rolls in, like pumpkin spice lattes, chai, knitting and wearing scarves, crunchy leaves underfoot on sunny days, and carving pumpkins with children. Natalie will be three in October, and if my job search is successful, I won't be there. I feel kind of bad about that. But I hope she knows how much I love her.

Despite the weather, Poland in general, and Wrocław in particular, still has a lot of charm for me. I'm always running across odd little buildings or sweet, helpful people who make me smile. That said, I admit that, quite aside from increasing my odds of getting a job, I'm excited to be applying in some other cities because I'm feeling the itch to see more of the country instead of just settling down in the first place I happened to touch down in. Of course, if I get work here, I'd be perfectly happy with that. It's a beautiful place, and the atmosphere is probably going to change again when all the students come back. And once I'm settled in, I might be able to take the odd weekend trip to visit friends in other cities. I'm actually pretty nervous about getting a job. And since I'm done with CELTA, and a lot of my friends have gone home, I have the long days stretching before me again, giving me plenty of time to think about everything I'm worried about. Don't get me wrong - I'm using the time to send out my CV, but all I think about as I write cover letters is "What if this doesn't work?" I guess worrying about it really doesn't do me much good, and I should just try to take it easy on myself, but that's easier said than done, isn't it?

I took a little break and watched about 15 minutes of the Polish version of Family Feud today. I don't watch much TV, but I turn it on once in a while to help me with my Polish. What I learned is that Family Feud is even less exciting when you can't play along. The questions and answers were honestly a bit beyond me. But I did understand most of the contestant-host banter. I think it must be some kind of rule that the host of this style of show has to flirt with all the ladies in each family. Especially the older ones. Did anyone else think it was weird the way Richard Dawson used to kiss everyone? The Polish host doesn't do that, but he does call every woman "bardzo ładna," whether she is or not.

The dogs continue to be lovely, and though I'm usually not keen on the idea of taking them out in the cold the first thing when I wake up, by the time I'm out there walking them I feel better and more energized about the day ahead of me. Having them here to distract me has actually done worlds of good. Waru is nuts about tennis balls, and Hades is nuts about Waru, so he chases them with her, and puts up a teensy tiny fight before giving her the ball - I think more because he knows how much she likes it than because he actually wants the ball. And if I wanted a marriage of convenience, I think all I'd have to do is take those dogs with me everywhere I go. Young men flirt with the dogs constantly. And who can blame them? They are beautiful, aren't they?


Waru
Hades
Anyway, I've got plenty to do, so, that'll be it until next time. Do zobaczenia!

No comments:

Post a Comment