Saturday, July 3, 2010

Twenty-seven is too old to spend more than a week with your parents

Mark Twain said, "Keep away from those who try to belittle your ambitions.  Small people always do that, but the really great make you believe that you too can become great."

I agree, but what if the person in question is not someone you can walk away from, or even ignore?  What happens when, even knowing that it isn't worth listening to, the words are coming from somebody who will always have your ear?  Do you brush past it?  Ignore it?  How?

I always try to remember that I am the only person who has been with me through every experience and every decision I have ever made, so I am the only one who really knows what is right for me.  Which helps.  I can still be proud of my accomplishments, even if other people are not.  But it still hurts.  So here's my question: When it's family, when it's someone you love, and you're hurt and you can't just forget it, how do you forgive?  Because I'm absolutely sure you should.  But it's not easy at all.

1 comment:

  1. In my family, we ignore eachother completely until one of us breaks, and the pretend it never happened, and never speak of that subject again. Functional!

    ReplyDelete